Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball

>> Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball by Donita K. Paul, is a whimsical little Christmas novella published by Waterbrook Press.  The best I can describe it is a Christian fairy tale with a good dose of romance, mystery, and drama.  It's a short book so it's a fast read - perfect for this busy Christmas season.

I really fell in love with the author's characters:

Cora is a young, unmarried, Christian, working woman with a past that she is constantly running away from, especially from her evil nemesis, Zee.  Cora calls her family's soap opera life, "Tomorrow's Sorrows," because whatever choices they make one day become their problems the next. 

Simon is one of Cora's boss'.  He is a serious-minded, focused, hard-working man but when he leaves work, he goes home to his mother, grandfather, aunt, and little sister, Sandy -- all fun-loving and loves the Lord lots.

Sandy is special.  She says about herself, "I won't grow up.  It's an advantage I cherish.  A gift from Jesus."  I love how she explains her special needs to Cora.  

Simon and Cora met at a very mysterious bookstore.  Soon, the serious Simon grew to love the messed-up Cora, but he wouldn't admit it.  He loved how Cora could make Sandy so happy but Cora seemed to give him indigestion.  

The Christmas Ball is the event that finally seals their romance.  I really don't want to ruin the book for would-be readers so I won't share anymore of the story.  The characters are fantastic; you will fall in love with them quickly.

One thing about the book that gives me pause is the wizards.  They are explained but honestly, I think the author could have written the book without them and it would have been just as good or better.  Mixing in wizards and so much magic is a little scary to me.  If Mrs. Paul wrote about angels down on earth creating all this interactions and mystery, it would have been easier to swallow.  

I do like how the author used so much scripture.  I truly enjoyed the book but, in the back of my mind, I had to keep wrestling with the wizards.  I guess this is a mixed review.  I loved it yet I have some reservations about recommending it.  

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP