New Creation

>> Friday, June 29, 2012

One day while on the beach, there was a whole area of broken shells.  We walked on them and it didn't hurt our feet at all.  They were soft from who knows how many centuries of being in the ocean, smoothed out by the water.

This morning, my second full day at home from one of my most perfect vacations ever, I read this verse:


"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those who are crushed in spirit." - Psalm 34:18

It had so much more meaning to me after my time at the beach.  Mari found a couple pieces of green sea glass.  We also found lots of small pieces of smooth, broken shells.  Funny thing is, the first couple of days, they really didn't draw our attention.  It was the big, intact conch shells that we ran for, like Mari found in this picture.  Now that was a find!

The first day we picked up everything.  The second day we were more discerning.  After that, we wanted shells that had character, especially if they were worn and cracked.  These shells had a story.

The day before we went home, Laura, Mari, and I went once again down the shore and the big shells weren't there but tiny ones were.  They were almost like sea glass.  Shells worn by the tide.  So very smooth and beautiful.

My eyes were drawn to those tiny beauties.  I could relate to their struggles.  Beaten.  Worn.  But they held on.  Because of their adversities, they came out of their trials glorious!  The three of us bent down and picked them up lovingly, one at a time.  Once in a while, we would show our find to the other two, so proud.

I even thought of God doing that for us.  Bending down and picking us up one at a time.  So many of us yet He cares so much for each and every one.  I can see Him smiling and saying, "Just look at her.  I'm so proud.  She's growing even though..."

I can see Him bending down and plucking one out of an enormous wave that threatens to destroy...just in time.  I can see Him crying because of the fires in Colorado and yet...He smiles because of the few that are turning their hearts to their Creator.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those who are crushed in spirit." - Psalm 34:18

Mari and I took quite a few shells home with us.  They didn't get crushed in the process because they've already been through the trials.  They're strong.  We both have plans for ours, to put them together somehow, to create a brand new piece to share with others.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. - 2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV

The old ways are in the past and I don't miss them at all.  I love the new creation that I am and every day I grow and mature and become more smooth and colorful as the storms of life teach me to look up always.  






Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP