The Freak

>> Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I do stupid stuff. Like just now. That was a stupid sentence I wrote, but true. I do stupid things all the time. And it's one thing I do consistently. One thing I'm very reliable at. One thing you can depend on me for.  Stupidity. Not in everything. Maybe not even anymore than anyone else. Okay, so can I say that we all major in stupidity at one time or another?

I've heard some people say they would like to go back in time to fix things; a do-over. I've thought about it quite a bit and my conclusion is this:  I honestly think, if I were to go back in time, to the same age, faced with the same decisions, I would do things the same way or maybe mess things up even more. Let's say at age 16. Could we really make a good, rational decision, a different one than we made the first time? And if we did do things different, think how much might be changed down through our history. Hmmm...

You may ask why I'm so philosophical this most warm, summery day. No, it's not from reading Lisa Mikitarian's blog too much, although that might do it! Actually, it's from watching one of the 2012 Oscar Nominated Short Live Action Films, The Freak. All of the nominations are showing on the Starz channel right now. I think you'll enjoy this clip.



Interesting concept. This poor guy tried to get things right for eleven years before his friend intervened. He got one thing right finally, but then there was something else, always something else. It was driving him insane! He was stuck in a time warp continuum of sorts, of his own making, of course. He wanted to get life perfect. Who can do perfect? Who wants to do perfect?

Funny thing is, we don't have to BE perfect. We don't have to DO perfect. God accepts us for who we are...for what we do. He loves us just because. It's that word called GRACE! Grace - God finds favor with us even though we don't deserve it. I sure don't deserve it. He looks at me, at us, with love, not contempt. When I look in the mirror, I see every imperfection I have. When God looks, He sees what I will be.

"We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won’t be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We’ll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing Him directly just as He knows us!" -  1 Corinthians 13:12 The Message

We need to be the best we can be, of course, while we are on earth. We need to strive to be the healthiest we can be. Eat healthy because our body is God's house. With our body, we should be spending time with God; praising Him; telling others about Him and that He is coming soon! But you know, God doesn't expect perfection from us. He knows we aren't going to get it right all the time. He is in the business of forgiveness. I'm sure glad about that.

My pastor, Greg Taylor, shared a story about grace this past Sunday. There was a college class preparing for an exam that morning. Some sat confident, having already studied all night long. Others were doing last minute cramming. When the professor came in, he told them to keep the tests face down until every one got one. When he told the class to turn their tests over, I can imagine the silence; and then the murmuring; and then the hands slowly, one-by-one being raised. This professor had taken the test for them. All the answers were filled in. He even had their individual names on each test. Every one received an A, no matter what grade they were currently getting in the class. A. He then asked them if they deserved that grade. Of course they didn't. They didn't take the test. He just taught them the word grace in action. He gave them a life lesson they will never forget.

That's the way God did it. He already had Jesus take the test for us. Because of Him, we don't have to keep re-doing when we get things wrong. We don't need to beat ourselves up. Time machines are fun to think about but really aren't needed, or even practical. I sure did like that short film though. If you can, I would recommend you watch it. Good stuff!

I can't wait until the fog clears and I can see things clearly. It won't be long now. Jesus is coming soon. Come, Lord Jesus, come!

P.S. As I was studying/reading for this blog post, things got a little cloudy in my mind. I think I'm good now though, thanks to a quick FB pm to/from Greg. So, part two will be another day.

Until then...
Laury



Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP