I'm Starving!

>> Friday, February 18, 2011

On my last blog post, Desiray posted a comment that I replied to and decided, "Hmmm...that will make an awesome post." So...here it is. Thank you, Desiray, for pulling more out of me about waiting on God. I don't know this woman. She's just a fellow Christian blogger who found me and who has been encouraging me ever since, along with Grandma Becky (and I appreciate them both.) Anyway, waiting on God...


I've become quite the expert soup maker this winter. I can't take credit for that, though. Actually, my good friend, Becky Glenn, gave me an awesome taco soup recipe. It's easy and extremely good. Here it is. Hopefully she doesn't mind that I'm sharing it with all of you.

Taco Soup

1 # browned hamburger
1 small onion chopped (or onion flakes)
1 bag frozen corn (16 oz) (or 1 can)
1 can diced tomatoes with chilies (10 oz undrained)
1 can plain diced tomatoes (14 oz undrained)
1 can chili beans with sauce (15 oz undrained)
1 can tomato soup

Mix all together and cook in crock pot (high 2 hours) or oven or simmer on the stove.
Serve with:
Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese of your choice
Sour Cream


The problem with this soup: I have to wait for it to simmer. I suppose I better share my dirty little secret with you. Most usually, I don't wait. I'll scoop some up and put it in a bowl and heat it in the microwave. The problem with that, it doesn't blend in all the different flavors like it does when it takes it's time in the crock pot.

If I would just wait for it...I would eat the most delectable bowl of soup ever. I am overly impatient. You know, talking about soup reminds me of Esau. He came in famished after his work day and begged Jacob for a bowl of his red stew he had simmering on the back burner. I'm sure Jacob would have given him some for free at dinner time but Esau was so dramatic about the whole - I'M STARVING and GONNA DIE - thing that Jacob played along.  Jacob traded his twin brother a bowl of soup for his birthright.

All because Esau was impatient, he lost out on all the rights that came along with being the oldest.  All because he was too impatient to wait for dinner, he let something slip past him that was much more valuable than a bowl of soup.  How sad is that?

Psalm 27:13-14 (The Message)
 I'm sure now I'll see God's goodness

      in the exuberant earth.
   Stay with God!  (Wait for God!)
      Take heart. Don't quit.  (Wait for it...don't quit!)
   I'll say it again:
      Stay with God.  (Wait for God!)

You know...when we try to speed things up, we are attempting to stop what God has set in motion for us.  We can't see the big picture.  Sometimes, every little piece has to fall into place before we see answers to prayers.  God sees it all.  He knows it all.  He knows us better than we know ourselves.  Why don't we just wait for Him?  

I hate the thought of sitting in my rocking chair in the nursing home thinking of all that my impatience cost me during my younger years. Oh, can you imagine?  To finally have life figured out by 85, 90 years old and not be able to change a thing?  

Here is my 90 year-old self from the future telling my 47 year-old self from right now - "Wait for God.  Don't try to make things happen.  It never worked out when you did that.  It didn't work at 20.  Not at 30 or 40.  It didn't work at 50 or 60, either.  Girlie, it didn't at 80 even.  Stay with God and wait for Him."

I just cracked myself up.  My old self never talked to my middle aged self before.  Wow.  I guess it's been a long week.  :)  I don't want to be like Esau.  I want to walk triumphantly into the Promised Land with my inheritance firmly in place and I will gladly wait for it, whatever it is at the moment.  Come walk with me, won't you?



Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP