Audience of One

>> Saturday, October 11, 2008


Today I went to Berean Christian bookstore, and bought the book, A Sisterchicks Devotional: Take Flight! I've only read the first chapter so far but am loving it already! It's talking about worship. Robin Jones Gunn, the author, writes about a time when she wants to worship God but passes up the chance because of people around her. She says this, "I didn't release the praise welling up inside."

I can relate to this. Every Sunday in church I am inhibited because of others around me. No one stops me from praising God the way I want. No one but me. Sometimes I don't want to stand out. I just want to blend in with the crowd. But sometimes I am so powerfully touched by the Holy Spirit that I feel like I'm going to burst. That would be needing to release the praise that wells up inside like Robin writes about.

Her co-author and best friend, Cindy Hannan, writes this: "God knows our hearts, and He patiently asks us to bring more of ourselves to Him than we have before. He waits for us to realize that when we worship, there is an audience of only one.

Look at 2 Samuel 6:14 -- David danced with great abandon before God. He didn't care who was watching or what they were saying.

2 Chron. 6:13 -- Solomon knelt in front of a whole congregation, stretched his hands to Heaven and prayed.

Psalm 95:6, (The Message)-- David writes, "So come, let us worship: bow before Him, on your knees before God, who made us."

John 4:23-24"It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship. God is sheer being itself—Spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration."

Sometimes our praise comes out in different forms. It might be a poem or a story. Maybe you break out into song or speak in a different language. One time you might lift one hand and the next two. You might kneel or be flat on your face. Some even dance before the Lord like David.

Psalm 27:6 (The Message) "God holds me head and shoulders
above all who try to pull me down.
I'm headed for his place to offer anthems
that will raise the roof!
Already I'm singing God-songs;
I'm making music to God.

"Psalm 100:1-2 (The Message) "On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence."
Tomorrow, I'm hoping and praying that I will be able to respond to God's love the way I feel I ought to without worrying about how anyone else is worshiping or what they think about how I am worshiping. Hopefully, roofs will be raised all across the land in praise and worship and honor and glory to our Lord of Lords and our King of Kings!

I can't wait for Sunday! Psalm 122:1, "When they said, "Let's go to the house of God," my heart leaped for joy."

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP