Enjoy Your Day! Contentment, Part 1

>> Saturday, October 25, 2008

As Nik and I were driving to church a couple of Sundays ago, we passed a pasture that had some horses. One of the horses poked his head out of the fence eating the grass on the other side. On the way home Nik said something to me about it. We were both amazed that it was still munching on grass almost out of his reach. It must have looked awful enticing to go to so much work to get. Oh my.

It reminded me of contentment. There are so many times that I don't live in the moment. I am constantly looking forward to the next thing. I am not content in where I am or what I'm doing.

About five or six years ago I memorized the book of Philippians. I'll have to share that adventure with you sometime because it was awesome. As I was studying and memorizing the book, I realized that I really really liked Paul. He maybe had some personality quirks but don't we all:) Maybe that's why I like him. He was very real. He had so much to overcome in his Christian walk. So much guilt he had to contend with but he overcame and he did so much for the Kingdom of God.

Paul wrote about being content. When we know about his life, it is quite an amazing thing, thinking he was content in where he was and what he was doing. (The picture is the inside of a prison that Paul would have spent so much of his life.) He was forced to be alone when he was such a social man. He was active in his life but was then forced to be chained and confined to a small space and no sunlight. He loved to preach the Gospel yet many of the avenues he used to do that were taken away from him. Satan must have intended on making him utterly hopeless. Cause him to question what he believed. Give him a good reason to maybe even end his life but instead, all this had the opposite effect on him. Look at what he wrote:

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philipians 4:10-13 NIV)

How do we live a life of contentment like Paul? I'll try to share his secret with you after I study more and get it figured out:) In the meantime, let's try to enjoy the day, okay?

Aloha baby!
Laury

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP