The Chocolate Diaries

>> Saturday, June 11, 2011

I chose The Chocolate Diaries from Waterbrook Press to review because...well...it should be quite obvious --  chocolate is in its title.  The book did not disappoint my obvious craving for the sweet treat.  In fact, as I write this review, I'm taste-testing a recipe my vbgf gave me for a Nutella Slimfast Espresso Frappe.  Yumm...  Needless to say - I'm on a caffeinated, chocolate high.

Anyway, this book is written by Karen Scalf Linamen and she shares "Secrets for a Sweeter Journey on the Rocky Road of Life."  Everyone can certainly relate to this.

Each chapter is fairly short and towards the middle has a section for a question/answer from someone she has asked that follows along with what the chapter is about. At the end of each chapter, the author has a - Food for Thought, where she asks questions directed to the reader.  The very best part of each chapter is her chocolate recipes she's received from readers.  I can't wait to try some of them!

One quote in the book that stands out in my mind is this, "To live an extraordinary life, you have to let someone else do the ordinary."  (pg. 99)  Many times we, as mothers, wives, friends... become the support staff so others can follow their dreams.  There comes a time when it's OUR turn to spread our wings and fly and others can support us in our endeavors.  True, yes?

If you are looking for a really involved Bible Beth Moore-like study, then this isn't the book for you. If you are looking for something fun and quick, maybe to do together with a friend, then this is perfect!  Karen shares her life story with us and it isn't wrapped up in a pretty bow, so if you like perfect Christian lives show-cased in books - then again, this book is NOT for you.  If you do like real Christians who aren't afraid to show themselves and their real crazy lives, then just maybe you will enjoy this book.

There now.  I am going to finish my caffeinated, chocolate goodness.  I will see you at Amazon in the checkout line!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP