P's & Q's

>> Tuesday, September 13, 2011

As you can see, this is a catch-up week for me  Everyone else is happily blogging on Q at Patty's blog but I snuck around the corner with p & q together.  Shhhh....  Of course, I'm not doing what my post title says - minding my p's and q's, but it's my blog and I suppose I can do what I want to so I will.  I'll refrain from sticking out my tongue because that would be over-the-top juvenile.  I'll let that critter do it instead cuz that's just how it is right now.

Do you know where the phrase, 'mind your p's & q's' comes from?  Good old Wikipedia says this, "comes from early printing presses. Printers placed individual letters on a frame to print a page of text. The letters were reversed, making it easy to mistake lowercase p's and q's in setting the type. A reminder to stay watchful of the details could have come from this time as well."  

Our church has started a new Bible reading challenge.  There is a  new catch phrase - NT 75 - the New Testament in 75 days.  Today was the first day.  You know what that means, right?  It means that I'm totally not behind yet.  I'm right on track.  Matthew chapters 1-4 read.  Marked off my handy yellow chart.  Check.  Yes!  

Well, as I read, of course I was watching out for what could relate to minding your p's & q's.  John the Baptist was the official spokesperson for making sure that everyone did just that.  He was, "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'" (Matthew 3:3 NIV)

John denied himself of all luxuries.  He lived in the desert.  He ate locusts and wild honey.  His clothes were made of camel's hair.  That couldn't have been very comfortable, I'm sure.  Can you say itchy?  I read where camel's hair is coarse and inflexible.  I'm thinking that's just how John was too.  Pretty inflexible.  He knew what he knew and he would stand up for that truth no matter what.  In fact, that truth made him lose his head later in his life.  


John minded his p's & q's according to what God called him to be but the world didn't like it.  He would be killed because he taught something different than what the world was teaching at that time.  He was paving the way for Jesus.

As inflexible as John was, Jesus was the opposite.  Jesus seemed to break the rules.  I'm sure John didn't understand that one bit but he knew enough to not call His Lord on it or maybe he did question Jesus.  Maybe it was John that sent his disciples over to ask Jesus the fasting question, you think?

"Then John’s disciples came and asked him, 'How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?'

Jesus answered, 'How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.'"  
Matthew 9:14-15

Jesus came to shake up the world.  He ushered in a new way of looking at things.  The Old Testament Law said to stone the adulterer.  Jesus said, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”  John 8:7

Jesus was giving us a new way of living.  No longer did we have to follow strict guidelines of what to eat and what not to eat.  The p & q's were much easier.  Jesus brought us freedom.

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.  John 8:36

John the Baptist did what he was supposed to do.  He paved the way for Jesus.  Jesus came and paved the way for us to get to Heaven.  Minding our p's & q's is much easier now.  Can you imagine what it was like before Jesus came?  Wow!  I can't even imagine!

Okay.  Nine more letters to go!  See you next week if not before!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered by Blogger.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP