>> Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Who says the Old Testament isn't relative to us today? Come here, on top of this mountain ledge while we listen to Moses speak to the Israelites.
God , our God! God the One and Only!
Love God, your God, with your whole heart: love Him with all that's in you, love Him with all you've got!"
Write these commandments on your heart. Talk about them. Take them with you wherever you go. Teach your children:
1. No other gods, only me.
2. No carved gods of any size, shape, or form of anything whatever, whether of things that fly or walk or swim. Don't bow down to them and don't serve them because I am God, your God, and I'm a most jealous God. I hold parents responsible for any sins they pass on to their children to the third, and yes, even to the fourth generation. But I'm lovingly loyal to the thousands who love me and keep my commandments.
3. No using the name of God, your God, in curses or silly banter; God won't put up with the irreverent use of his name.
4. No working on the Sabbath; keep it holy just as God your God, commanded you. Work six days, doing everything you have to do, but the seventh day is a Sabbath, a Rest Day—no work: not you, your son, your daughter, your servant, your maid, your ox, your donkey (or any of your animals), and not even the foreigner visiting your town. That way your servants and maids will get the same rest as you. Don't ever forget that you were slaves in Egypt and God your God, got you out of there in a powerful show of strength. That's why your God commands you to observe the day of Sabbath rest.
5. Respect your father and mother—God your God, commands it! You'll have a long life; the land that God is giving you will treat you well.
6. No murder.
7. No adultery.
8. No stealing.
9. No lies about your neighbor.
10. No coveting your neighbor's wife. And no lusting for his house, field, servant, maid, ox, or donkey either—nothing that belongs to your neighbor!
Deuteronomy 6:25, "It will be a set-right and put-together life for us if we make sure that we do this entire commandment in the Presence of our God, just as he commanded us to do."